Sunday, July 1, 2012

Catching up

     I realized it's been a while since I've posted anything, and I have been quite busy this past month!  I've done several 5K events, including two 5K events in one day.  I did the Mobile Loaves and Fishes run the morning on June 23rd, and in the evening I did the Keep Austin Weird 5K.  Boy was it hot!  Running on the streets of Austin, on the blacktop, when it was 100 degrees...but I had a blast, I got to dress weird, and I had a good time.
My sister-in-law did this run with me, and my daughter came down to see me off and see me cross the finish line.  It was so special for me, for her to be there.

     I consider each one of these races that I do an accomplishment.  A few of my friends don't get why I keep signing up for these events, they don't understand why I find it necessary to sign up for yet another 5K every weekend.  I do it because I enjoy it, and for someone who never in a million years thought that this would be possible, I amaze myself every time I cross the finish line.  It's not that I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, because I honestly don't think that "I can't" is in my vocabulary.  I'm just amazed because I didn't think I would ever be a "runner".

     I still struggle with calling myself a "runner".  I don't look like a runner.  I can't run a long distance without stopping to walk.  Some races I walk alot more than others, but I run when I can, and I always, always finish.  I think about running much of the time, and if I see a runner on the road, I think "I should be running right now."  I don't have a runner's body, but I have a runner's heart, and that's the most important thing.

     Yesterday, I did my first 10K race.  It was awesome!  My friend Michelle was with me, and we started at 6:00 in the morning and finished at 7:30.  It was a nice out-and-back run, we were at the turn-around before we knew it!
At the end, as I crossed the finish line, I wanted to burst into tears, but I managed to hold myself in check.  Even when the people at the finish line congratulated me, handed me a goodie bag, clapped me on the back, and told me what a good job I had just done, and even acknowledged that this is an emotional time, I still managed to not shed tears.  And the tears would have been strictly happy tears, tears of pride and accomplishment.
But I did it!  Me and my fat, mushy thighs and big jiggly butt, who, a year ago never even thought it was possible.  And I also have another 10K scheduled in 2 weeks, an evening race that promises to be hotter than hell, but I'm so looking forward to it, and I can't wait!

     So, my training for the half marathon continues.  I've missed out on several on the Team in Training meetings so far, but the meetings have been short runs, such as 1 or 2 miles and the races have been 5Ks at least.  I figure I'll do the races I've signed up for, but not sign up for any more at this time so I can do the Saturday morning Team in Training runs.  I need to break out of the 5K rut and do longer runs, like my weekday morning runs where I've been trying to do 4 miles.  I need to do the longer runs and not worry so much about time as opposed to distance.  My standard is 13-15 miles, and I'm totally fine with that, because hey, at least I'm out there moving and not sitting on the sofa.

Speaking of which, I think a run sounds good right now.
Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment